Saturday, February 14, 2009

Things to do before...well someday.

I have recently agreed to make a sort of Bucket list. A list of what I want to achieve in the next few years, things that I can be held accountable for. Things that when prodded to do, I can maybe whine about but not too loudly as they were my idea to begin with, my dreams, aspirations, or just wild hairs. So, that got me thinking about stuff that I really can conceivably achieve, or want to achieve in the next two years (that is the time limit). Then I got nervous. Accountability is a bitch. I hate it. Short term I am not too bad with. "Next Saturday, sure I can do such and such by next Saturday"....by the year 2011, not so much. Give me too much time and I will get side tracked, distracted, I am not exactly a procrastinator, but I will find the most winding road to my goal and take it.

So what do I want to achieve in the next two years of my life. What would I like to see happen before I turn 30. (is that right dawn? will that be my age in 2 years? whatever:) )



1. Graduate college- at this point I am so sick of going I could care less what degree I get, just so long as I graduate...I need to look into some different schools, and some bachelor degree completion programs. (I have just looked online to see how close I am to actually graduating, and after this semester i will need 20 credits [8 credits a semester] so a little over a year, and I only need 4 courses if I want to complete an English Major including my capstone which is like a mini dissertation.)

2. Get a different Job. I am sick of the one I have, but thankful for it at the same time. The managers at work have been really great so far about my situation, and really, i get the hours I need to attend school, plus health benefits. So, if I still have a job in March, I just need to remind myself to be thankful and continue to work towards my education, and work on my resume.

3. Move out. This is not a possible reality right now, but two years is a long time.

4. Take a trip out to Colorado again. This is probably one of my favorite places, and I would love to go back.

5. Buy a new car. This will hopefully happen soon.

6. Loose more weight. Refer here if you missed the earlier blog. http://unaccustomedtimes.blogspot.com/2009/01/losing-yourself.html

7. Spend more time becoming happy with myself, this sounds stupid- like I got it out of the self help section, but at the beginning of last year, I was finally starting to like myself for the first time and I have started to lose that again...I need to try to find it again.

8. Start a savings account. I know, I know.

9. Discover a hobby that I really enjoy.

10. Go on a hot air balloon ride.

11. some assorted fun things that i don't want to quite commit to just yet....



I am sure there are more but for now that is all I can think of...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice list.

I was surprised I didn't see "finish online quiz" on there.

dm said...

I think two years is a realistic time for these kinds of goals. And yes, you will be 30. On March of 2011 anyway, so you get a bonus month on your time limit.

You can come to CO with us in April if you want. You can skip the wedding (or come looking for some hot CO guy you can tap) and chill in the mountains.

Go to ING right now and start the savings account. You don't even have to go into a bank.

I've never found my "thing" hobby either. I get that.

I wanna know your assorted things. Between this and your cryptic comment on my private blog, you have some emailing to do. (to me!)

JoAnna said...

"or come looking for some hot CO guy you can tap"-DAWN!!!*shock*

ING scares me almost as much as another bank account.

sigh-Colorado in the spring.

Assorted things include- skydiving, white water rafting, taking a road trip out east,buying snowshoes, getting a small tattoo, wait...what? ;)

JoAnna said...

And I got my quiz done today! Yea! Now I am just cleaning stuff as I pretend my paper doesnt exist. :)

dm said...

You can go skydiving with my mom, cathi, nick, and denny this summer. Paul and I will be watching from the ground.

All I will say about the tattoo is this. If i were back at the time/place I got mine, I wouldn't get either one again.

Anonymous said...

Will it be a pie tattoo?

You should just have a small magnadoodle surgically installed on your body where you would have a tattoo. Then you could change it any time you wanted.

I'm just sayin'.

JoAnna said...

That is probably why I will never get a tattoo, because A. I am to chicken, and B. because you have to decide on one thing...forever! as some of you know I have trouble making up my mind sometimes, let alone forever.

It is just an idea that popped into my head one day and niggles there every once and awhile.

I will probably go skydiving instead:)

A MagnaDoodle tattoo would rock in that aspect though! I could always change it! but it would limit to tattooage to the front of the body unless you trusted people not to draw kick me signs on your back:)

~Jess said...

I think one of the good aspects about lists like this is that you can put on stuff that scares you, stuff that you don't want to do but know has to be done, fun stuff that is iffy (perhaps like the skydiving) and also random stuff just for fun. Maybe it is just a trend in my family, but we always add stuff to lists that is easy or is already half done so that we get the satisfaction of crossing stuff off ;0) Like, buy purple socks. Or find the perfect pie. I mean, how much fun could you have going around to all kinds of restaurants trying to find the perfect pie?

JoAnna said...

OH! I like that! I want to add find my favorite pizza place in the twin cities!!!