Thursday, February 12, 2009

What was i thinking?

So, this semester i signed up for an Anthropology of Linguistics class. I don't know what I was thinking, or why I would think this, but I assumed the homework would be written in the English language. Silly me. It is in almost every other language you can think of except English. Some of the languages I have never even heard of...Rarotongan, which as it turned out is a version of the Maori language. However, it is a little challenging to try to classify sounds from a language you don't know, and have never EVEN HEARD! I don't know exactly what this teacher is expecting, but when i am supposed to classify two different columns of words according to their Allophones, and the words are in Swahili, i am a bit stymied. Maybe that's just me. I don't know.
I am supposed to complete an online quiz this weekend, but it has yet to be uploaded to the website,so I know I am going to be working on that until the last moment to get it all done. Online quizzes are notorious for taking forever, they are actually more like the worst possible take home essay test you can imagine, and because it is all done on the Internet you can basically just work one question at a time. I have most of my other reading for the week done. Yea me! It feels weird, so I will move on to working on my paper and haunt the D2L website today for my quiz to pop up. That should fill a good majority of my weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tego już za wiele wydawać się podobny an zdumiewający suma zaawansowany JoAnna. I bardzo bałamutny. JA don't znać jak ktoś mogą być oczekiwany wobec czynić praca tak w języki oni don't rozumieć.

Anonymous said...

Look at you, fast adding info while I respond.

Bummer on that quiz thing.

JoAnna said...

See, if I was a good little linguistics student I would be able to pull out the Allpohones and learn that language...alas I am not;)

JoAnna said...

For those of you on the edge of your seats...still no quiz. I am getting peeved. Soon to be pissed.