Thursday, January 8, 2009

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page"- Saint Augustine

So, as most of you know I read Romance novels, but lately I have been wanting to read many different kinds of books. During my High School English years I skipped the year when we were supposed to read the classics, and the book club I had (yes past tense, that means I quit) been a part of read nothing but Romance novels. Some of the books I want to read include:

Of Mice and Men , by John Steinbeck
The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
The Last of the Mohicans , by James Fenimore Cooper
The Once and Future King, by T.H. White
The Princess Bride, by William Goldman
A Wrinkle in Time, by Madeleine L'Engle
Peter Pan, by J.M. Barrie
One Thousand White Women, by Jim Fergus
The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver
Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell
Stardust, By Neil Gaiman
Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson
A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens
Gulliver's Travels, by Jonathan Swift
Maus, by Art Spiegelman
Love Medicine, by Louise Erdrich
The Stranger, by Albert Camus
Watership Down, by Richard Adams

Just a few that have always caught my eye and interest, I know there are more. Do you know of any that I left off the list that I should check out?

P.S. I tried to keep the spaces to a minimum for you Dawn:)

14 comments:

dm said...

I HATE Dickens.

A Wrinkle in Time is my all-time, hands-down favorite book of all time.

dm said...

The Awakening - Kate Chopin

I wrote my College Amer. Lit. Paper on those two books. YOu can read that too if you want. It's my favorite paper ever.

JoAnna said...

I will add it to my list.

Anonymous said...

In no particular order, I would recommend:

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens.

Ship Fever by Andrea Barrett. Collection of short stories. Some miss the mark. But the novella at the end, "Ship Fever" is outstanding.

Ahab's Wife by Sena Jeter Naslund

Crime & Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury, if for no other reason than to read "There Will Come Soft Rains." Sheer Genius.

Let Us Now Praise Famous Men by James Agee

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

The Muse Asylum by David Czuchlewski


That's all I'll throw at you for now.

dm said...

i gave you two, Jo. :) It takes me three posts to give you two books. ::skills::

JoAnna said...

I have read A Tale of Two Cities! HA! one down...I cant believe I forgot Brave New World!
I will put the rest on my ever growing list also.

And Dawn, no one is denying your skills:)

Anonymous said...

I would also add that if you're going to do Watership Down, which you should, you should also do Adams' The Plague Dogs.

JoAnna said...

The only problem now is I have to pick one to start with.

dm said...

Start with Wrinkle, Peter Pan or Ethan Frome. They're all easier to get into.

Anonymous said...

*gasp* Jo, Steve is right, I have always wanted to read Watership Down! It's about bunnies! Huxley too. And I love Bradbury so Something Wicked... would be good. I've already read the Martian Chronicles, but that was back in junior high, so re-reading it would be fun.

Both Steve & Dawn have great ideas. I also like that Michael Chabon one you showed me the other day. You know, the day we both officially quite the romance book group :)

JoAnna said...

Was a good day:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Start with Watership Down because it was the first book we see Sawyer reading on LOST.

Or not.

~Jess said...

Oh my goodness. Oh my goodness. You should not ask me this question - I will forget you posted it, 'cause otherwise I will send you SO MANY BOOKS. SO MANY.

But to comment on Steve's, you should definitely read Brave New World.