Wednesday, January 7, 2009

What The Future Holds

I have recently been thinking more and more about what I want to do when i grow up. It has always kinda been an abstract idea to me. So far away. I have always had things I have had to do first, almost insurmountable goals (school)before I could even consider what i wanted for my first career.

Well lately I have decided that I should just stop waiting, I need to just go out and find a "real" job.

But, I am still thinking about what i would eventually want to DO?! Then one day it kinda occurred to me. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, all the elements were there, there had been hints for years.

I have always loved books, I think reading is important at any age, it breaks my heart when people, children, and classrooms don't have books, cant afford books. The wonder that can be found in a book for a child (or adult) is priceless, the new worlds that are discovered, the journeys that your imagination goes on, the travels that you can take, simply by reading, has always been precious to me.

When i eventually graduate and find the path that my career will take I would think... I might, find my path leading me towards non profit programs that provide schools with up to date materials to teach children, put books in the hands of children whose parents could not otherwise not afford them, and while when I was younger I thought it would be enough to simply own a bookstore, to be involved in getting books to people that way, that is simply not enough anymore. I need...

2 comments:

dm said...

http://www.mncn.org/

Mn Council of non-profits, when there's non profit jobs, they're there. When trying to get into a non-profit, don't limit yourself to one area (ie: books only) once you're in non-profits, there's more room to move around, because they're run so much differently than profits.

http://www.themlc.org/donate
Minnesota Literacy Council

JoAnna said...

I expect when i start down this path it will lead me away from where I think I will be going.

Does that make any sense?

I dont think I will end up where my "plan" is EXACTLY. That is not the way the world works all the time. But this is the direction I know I want to head. I dont know if that makes any more sense:)