Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Recent discovery.


"You will get wet. Very wet. And you'll swallow hard when the roar of whitewater becomes audible from around the bend.
In May, you will wear a wet suit and still get cold. Any time of the year, you will end the day with sore limbs and tired muscles.
But you'll also walk away with a sense of accomplishment, a realization that you have just rafted a section of whitewater so treacherous that even the hardy voyageurs of the 19th century routinely portaged around it on their journey to Lake Superior."


I lived in Cloquet for 5 years and around the area of Duluth for 4 years prior to that, and in all that time it never occurred to me that I might want to go whitewater rafting when it was practically in my own backyard. However, now I do. I have been canoeing several times and I enjoy it. I love just being on the water and the calm that surrounds you. You can go as fast or as slow as you like, but it is up to you and only you to get where you want to be. Once you are in the canoe there are no other options, no shortcuts to getting to your final destination.

Whitewater rafting is almost the complete opposite. There is a lack of control. You are putting yourself in the hands of the river. You are no longer finishing your trip in your own time and pace, and you end your trip in whatever condition the river and rapids leave you in. It is more expensive than canoeing, so we shall see. It is definitely going on a life to do list.

8 comments:

dm said...

I've always thought I *might* want to go whitewater rafting.

JoAnna said...

Yeah! wanna be a wingman? I dont know what that means but it sounds kinda cool:)

dm said...

We'll see. I don't really like getting wet.

JoAnna said...

I know, but we could like get you a wetsuit or something.

dm said...

I'm glad you understand me.

~Jess said...

Jess can't swim. You are on your own!

JoAnna said...

YOU CAN'T SWIM!! AT ALL???

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.