Friday, January 23, 2009

Change of Habits

Recently I hung out with a friend for the weekend. Taking time out from life for a brief span of time. However, recently whenever I do this, take time out, I notice new habits I have formed because of the circumstances that life has recently thrown at me. I have had to start to treat my parents as small children that cannot do for themselves. Or rather I have been conditioned over the last year or so to treat them this way. I have started "shushing" my father by holding a hand up in his face and telling him to "stop" or saying "shh". Like one would a child. As a result at least one of my male friends has been shushed repeatedly in just one sitting. Also, when I have to fetch, pick things up, bring things over to, and pick up after my mother has bled over into my other relationships as well. When I was away for the weekend I found myself doing small things for another friend that I had never, and would never have done in the past. Bringing things to her she had forgotten to pick up, things she mentioned she might need. When she wished she had her phone, I would get up off the my bed walk across the room and get it, she forgot her water at breakfast I would get up and go back across the room for it. She was fully capable and willing to get each of these items, and was almost as surprised as me when I did each thing. It wasn't until I got home that I realized that I was reacting to the conditioning of the past few years, and it is only getting more intense with having two of them. I have gotten used to bringing things to people when they forget them on the counter, standing up when I have already sat down to a meal to get someone some water, picking something up off the floor, and being responsible for the behavior of the people around me. We will see if I can stop or if it is going to get worse with the coming times....

2 comments:

~Jess said...

You did 'Mom-save' me in the car a couple times ;0) But it's not the worst habit to gain, even if it is not necessarily in your best interests in the long run. Doesn't seem self-destructive or anything, so far (?)

JoAnna said...

I do that a lot, to everyone. It's my awesome driving:)