Sunday, January 9, 2011

I Thought It All Looked...Familiar.

Tomorrow I start the Spring semester of school. The second to the last semester before I graduate after about 10 years in college. After that long things are bound to be a little fuzzy; stuff like if I have taken a class or not... So I was all jazzed about my classes for this semester. Last semester I signed up to take my Lit Capstone (required to graduate) and an online course about Classical Greece. All was well in the educational word of JoAnnaland. Until tonight. I ordered my books a couple weeks ago and had them delivered to the house and something about the titles were nagging at me. Sure many of the books looked familiar, but I work at a freakin book store! I could have shelved the same titles over and over within my time as a book seller. That could have been what I was remembering. Then I came across one of the books titled "Greek Lyric". If you ever have to read this book, you will remember it. It is not a horrible book, boring, or mind numbing (at least for an English major with a interest towards history), but it is structured in such a way that you will remember reading it. Greek Lyric is a book full of the ancient poets of Greece, separated by poet, and theme. The depressing ones that write about death, go here. The ones that write about love, they go in there, yada yada.
When I first got my books for my classes I had somewhat of a sinking feeling when 3 out of the four books looked familiar. I should have payed attention to the feeling. I didn't. Not until this evening when the idea that the class started tomorrow and I just better make sure everything was kosher...
I went online and sure enough it had wiped my perfectly good grade from the first time I took it and had me repeating it! GAH! I had one night to pick a new class, because said class might start at 9am tomorrow! After much fiddling trying to get my computer to hook up to the Internet:( and searching for online courses, as that is what I was giving up,  :(   I finally found 2 classes that wouldn't have me crying by the second day, one was about information access and research (and online), the other was an art class about Museums and Galleries and met Wednesdays from 1-420. While the Museum one had more of my interest I was all for the online one. However, after registering I realized that it would leave me 2 credits short of graduation, as the info class was worth less credits than the museum course. GRRRRR! I now am registered for my Capstone and a museum and gallery class. Neither I have taken before. I don't think.

3 comments:

ChicKris said...

That Greek Lyric book actually sounds kinda interesting.

Museums = YAY! Kris knows art :)

JoAnna said...

It's not:) It's too ancient to be that interesting without a teacher telling you the bits that should be interesting. Then you go "oooohhhhhh" *giggle*

Well I am going to be doing some art attending this semester so I am depending on my art loving fiends...I mean friends to come with me;)

ChicKris said...

The teacher with the interesting bits doesn't come with the book? Well fuck that.

All in for field trips! Just let me know when as mike seems to like me for closes lately (aka can't make an original sched, so has been C&P-ing all the closes he's guven me for previous weeks.)