Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Summer Vacation (in its planning stages)

I would like to get to Ely this summer. They have The International Wolf Center and the North American Bear Center. Here is one of the wolf web cams. The North American Bear Center Has 3 bears and there mission is to educate the public about bears "to advance the long-term survival of bears worldwide by replacing misconceptions with scientific facts about bears, their role in ecosystems, and their relations with humans."



The International Wolf Center is also located in Ely and is somewhere I have wanted to visit for a long time. The exhibit does more than what a zoo would do, number one it has more information about wolves, but it also has more information about the different kinds of wolves from different areas around the world.

The Exhibit Pack refers to the wolves in the main enclosure. Members of the pack may vary as wolves age and new wolf pups are socialized and added to the Exhibit. In early summer of 2008, the Exhibit Pack consisted of Shadow and Malik-two arctic subspecies born on May 8, 2000, and Grizzer and Maya-two great plains subspecies born May 5, 2004.

In early August 2008, Aidan and Denali, two northwestern subspecies, joined the Exhibit Pack. The pups were born on April 27, 2008, at the Wildlife Science Center in Forest Lake, Minnesota.
Exhibiting three subspecies in one exhibit, with three age structures represented, is historic for the Center. This is a great opportunity for visitors to observe the dynamics of a wolf social hierarchy and to learn about the differences of the subspecies.
 While I have always wanted to visit the Ely Wolf center, knowing that there was also the new North American Bear Center in the same Town has made it much more of a destination spot for me this summer.

4 comments:

dm said...

I think we need to have a kick-butt summer. Must.Go.Camping.

JoAnna said...

I know. This past summer just kinda went by without anything ever really getting planned!

~Jess said...

JoAnna, you camp? Last time I went camping I got fleas ;0) No, really...

JoAnna said...

I am one of those campers that requires a bathroom close by, real packaged food, civilization close at hand, and people who can do all the camping stuff for me as I have no real idea what I am doing unless it comes to roasting a hot dog, or making a smore. I can hike like crazy though! I love hiking.