Monday, April 5, 2010

From Generation to Generation.


When my mother was little, her grandmother taught her how to make fresh bread from scratch. This was something that my mother used to do all the time when I was little. She would bake fresh bread, caramelized sticky buns, and cinnamon rolls, pies and cakes. Then she became sick, discovered that not only was she so allergic to yeast that she should not be touching it let alone eating it, but also that she should not be eating wheat flour products of any kind. So, the baking pretty much stopped. I mean would you want to bake a bunch of yummy food you couldn't eat?
So, this year I have decided to learn how to bake my great-grandmothers bread recipe. Whenever my mother made it when we were little she would make enough for a pan of buns, and for at least two loaves of bread and we were lucky if it all lasted a week. It was so delicious. There is nothing in the world that tastes like homemade bread, this homemade bread.
I have a bit of a head start as I used to help my mother make it when I was younger. I would help her knead the dough, and stir until it got too stiff and she would have to take over.
After I get the bread recipe down, I will have to try to tackle her pie recipe next. It is also a family favorite.

1 comment:

ChicKris said...

I've not tried bread from scratch either, but my goal this year is to make a pie, you know, without the pre-made crust and canned filling :)